[Tutor] Writing a web bot.

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 02:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Furmanek, Greg wrote:

> The task I am trying to perform is write an
> internet bot.  I was going to use urllib for
> this project however one of the requirements
> is for the connection to be continuous during
> the session.

Since HTTP is inherently stateless, there's no real continuity between
requests.  Perl's webbots, for example, simulate it by keeping track of
where they are.  I couldn't find an exact equivalent to LWP::UserAgent in
the core library.  But then, I'm completely unfamiliar with this, so
perhaps others can give better advice.  However, I did find something that
might be useful:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/jrush/Webbot/

It contains source to an implementation of a python webbot.  With luck,
you should be able to adjust it to suit your needs.  I found it using the
Vaults of Parnassus:

  http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Sorry I couldn't give a more definite answer on this.