[Tutor] Writing a web bot.

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shaleh@valinux.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:16:24 -0700

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 06:29:53PM -0400, Furmanek, Greg wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> It appears I have found myself in a position
> where I could use some help.
>
> The task I am trying to perform is write an
> internet bot.  I was going to use urllib for
> this project however one of the requirements
> is for the connection to be continuous during
> the session.

For http, I am not aware that this is possible.  Unless HTTP 1.1 changed
something.  After the browser sends you a page, it disconnects.

HELO
DATA
BYE

as another poster mentioned, you can keep an internal state of where you are,
but short of there being a special HTTP command for this, I do not think you
can do it as you think.