[Tutor] Re: OOP book recommendation

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Kojo Idrissa wrote:

>          Good point.  My plan is to focus more on designing how pieces
> of software and how they SHOULD work.  That's what my research
> entails.  For my purposes (Accounting Info. Systems doctoral research)
> OO Design/UML is a faster route to being able to describe what I'm
> talking about to others (whoever's reading the papers I'll write).  I
> can also turn the diagrams into code, but I may not always need to
> write code for my purposes.  More often than not, I won't.  Not to say
> I wouldn't (that's part of the reason I'm learning Python), but there
> would be fewer times when code would be REQUIRED instead of a UML
> diagram.

In my opinion, I've read exactly one book that I found was a real
eye-opener as far as design goes. It goes doubly with OOP as data is
encapsulated in a class. It is not, however, an OOP book in the strict
sense.

The book is: Structured Analysis and System Specification by Tom Demarco.
It's clear, easy to understand and makes a really compelling case that
MOST design is done backwards.

"Linux means never having to delete your love mail." -- Don Marti