[Tutor] OOP book recommendation

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:47:36 +0100

> I'm really interested in getting a handle on OOP. I know
> Alan Gauld recommends:
> "Object Oriented Analysis" by Coad and Yourdon
> "Object Oriented Programming" by Budd

These would be my "first book" recommendations.

Booch and Meyer are better if you want an "in depth" treatment.

But OO is really a new way of thinking for procedural
programmers and it takes a while to get used to it.

Its been said that your first OO project will be a
bad OO design, the second will be no worse than if you
had used non OO techniques and by the time you do the
third one you're starting to get the benefits. I'd go
along with that, so make the first and second projects
short and non critical!

The whole conversion to OO process usually takes between
3-6 months for a traditional programmer. Its much better
to learn OO from the start! Also for some reason hardware
and real/time engineers seem to grasp OO quicker
- OO message passing has a lot of similarities
to event driven/interrupt driven architectures I suspect.

> Anyone have one to add?

I also like Jesse Liberty's 'From Clouds to Code' book
- but you need the basic OO background from C/Y or Budd
to understand it.

Similarly Fowler's UML Distilled is a good quick intro to both
UML and the OO design process - but assumes you've got the
basics already.

Brad Cox's OOP book is also a good explanation too but being based
on Objective C and using his own SoftIC notation its not too
portable to other things.

Alan G.