[Fwd: [Tutor] learning a Programming language]

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 02:11:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Dan Star wrote:

> Well, a grid that shows records in a table format (with resizable
> columns etc).  Very good for browsing many records at a time such as all
> the line items on an order.  As far as I know this is very hard to do
> with Python.

No, not at all.

In fact, I have code for sucking date into those using PyGnome. Remember
that Python itself doesn't have a gui, so it may be hard in some GUIs. I
prefer gnome-python with glade support.

The relevant code in the base class:

 def DisplayList(self, recordList):
  self.recordList = recordList
  a = recordList[0]
  for i in xrange(0, len(recordList)):
   a = recordList[i]
   b = a.toStrArray()
   self.clist.append(b)

A clist object is resizeable. Note that instances of the object do not
need to override this; in fact, I suddenly had working lists for all my
views.

> > Not on my machine. :) In fact, they are both ZERO power applications on
> > any of the machines I own.
> >

> Delphi has a lot of built in power to make the the mundane tasks easier;
> however you have to conform to its model so it is a little restrictive
> if you use the IDE.  BTW it will soon be on Linux under the name Kylix.

Only half my machines run Linux.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.org   *   http://www.deirdre.net
I've _never_ made a decision I've been happier with than quitting $FIRM.