[Fwd: [Tutor] learning a Programming language]

Gauld,AJ,Alan,NEL1A GAULDAJ R alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:44:40 -0000

> Someone called "Dan Star" said to "Wesley J. Chun":
> > But there is no Grid support in Python or has this recently
> Correct.. Python does not have grid support because Python is a
> programming language not a graphics package.  But a good many of the
> GUI packages for Python have grid geometry managers,

A grid geometry manager has no similarity to a grid
(or probably more accurately called a table) control.

The table/grid is a way of displaying data in tabular
form like a spreadsheet. It emables the user to resize the columns
at runtime, to sort the columns or rows, to swap columns and rows etc
Most of them will display database data while in design mode too,
which is a very powerful tool for making sure the right data is
hooked up to the right control!

A grid layout manager allows the developer to place controls
in a tabular manner on a 'form'. VB uses what Tk would term
an XYlayout manager.

None of this is particularly relevant to the question of whether
a beginner should use VB or Python however. VB allows you to
build GUI apps without thinking about GUI programming. That's
neat but not helpful when you move to a different environment
where VBisn't available. Python focuses on making the
fundamentals easy but you still have to understand
what's going on.

Beyond the GUI aspects VB is more verbose than Python and has a
slightly more complex (and limited) OO mechanism.

The question comes down to: Do you want to quickly turn out
Windows GUI based programs or do you want to really understand
what programming is all about?

Alan G.