[Tutor] Configure Problems

Patrick Phalen python-list@teleo.net
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:01:25 -0800

[Charles Takacs, on Tue, 14 Mar 2000]
:: Thanks for the quick reply.
:: It clears it clears things up a bit.  especially where you refering to the
:: fact, that working with python files I have to be in the file's directory.

To clarify: you do not *have* to be in the file's directory. If the file
is not on your path, you can still call it from wherever your current
working directory is by specifying the full path to the file or the
relative path from where you are.

e.g., from anywhere, you can type this at the command prompt:

# /home/charly/myfile.py

See? You're specifying exactly where to find the script
relative to the root directory.

Similarly, if your cwd is /home, you could type:

# charly/myfile.py (or /home/charly/myfile.py)

There's a nice little Unix beginner's handbook from O'Reilly called
Learning the Unix Operating System that covers very basic matters like
this. Recommended.

:: The book "Learning Python" supposed to be for Novices.

Yes -- Python novices; the authors have stated that they expect folks to
have a little prior experience with other languages. It's too bad, but
the bookstores are crammed with programming books geared to readers who
have already learned how to program, but there never seem to be any
books for people who haven't cracked that first language.

:: I am going to clear my head a bit and go over things again.

That's the spirit!

Still, to me, the best answer anyone can give to someone who asks "how
can I learn to program?" is this:

Write a simple program.
Run it.
If it delivers an error or doesn't work, debug it.

Write another program.
Run it.
... you get the idea. :)