[Tutor] "Indenting"

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:04:11 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Robin B. Lake wrote:

> I've RTFM'ed and searched in three Python books (Internet, Learning,
> Essential Reference)  --- and only found the issue of indenting mentioned
> in passing.  What DOES constitute an "indent"?  I know from Essential
> Reference (pg 13) that a Tab gets set every 8 spaces within Python,
> but does a single space constitute an "indent"?

An "indentation" of a line is simply the number of initial spaces, after
the usual tab->8 aligned spaces conversion is performed. For formal
parsing rules for Python, have a look at the Python Reference Manual, from
the documentation.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html