[Tutor] Python x ibook

Corran Webster cwebster@nevada.edu
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:37:59 -0800

At 6:49 PM +0000 30/3/00, Matheus Rodrigues wrote:
> Is there anyone here that could tell me what are the Python features that I
> will not have in a ibook (notebook from apple) ?
> What are my limits once I try to run Python on this machine ?

Although I don't have an iBook, Python should run on it in the same manner
it would on any other Macintosh.

The most noticable differences from the Unix and Windows versions are:
    * none of the standard POSIX features (pipes, forking, access
      to command-line interfaces, etc) since the Mac does not have these.
    * no threading (although this is being worked on)
    * Tkinter is not as well supported as it could be (although it does work
      once you tell Python where it is)
    * Support for C extension modules is patchier because most are written
      for Unix or Windows.

Basically, most pure Python code will work fine on the mac, assuming it has
been written in a cross-platform way.  Code which assumes the existence of
certain features found only on Unix or Windows systems generally won't work
without major modification.

Precisely details on the differences in the standard distribution can be
found in the Python Documentation - if a module or feature is not
compatible with the mac, it will say so there.

On the other hand, you will have access to much of the underlying Macintosh
system, plus a rather nice IDE to play with.  The Numerical and Imaging
modules also come precompiled with the standard mac distribution.

For more technical details, you may want to ask in the MacPython SIG.

Regards,
Corran