[Tutor] van Laningham's book

Robin B. Lake rbl@hal.cwru.edu
Wed, 10 May 2000 17:33:02 -0400 (EDT)

I'm a newbie to Python, but not to programming.  I'm outlining
a book on learning programming from the ground up and plan to use
Python as the example language.  Here are my principles, learned
through sitting thru far too many years of badly-taught programming
courses (too many of them mine):

Just as we do with our kids, you have to learn to read before you
can write.  But learning to read about a dog does little good
if you don't have a "dog concept".  In programming, it does little
good to read a program unless you have some concept about what
a program DOES  ...
	-  Accepts information
	-  Stores information
	-  Transforms information
	-  Retrieves information
	-  Displays (outputs) information.

Now, of course, we need a concept of "information" to build upon.
I am going to TRY (in the book) to explain "information" as a selection
of alternatives IN A GIVEN CONTEXT.  I'm thinking how to get this
concept over easily.  Giving bit-patterns in the context of the ASCII
standard alphabet is one example;  another likely example is selecting
a pixel color and intensity as a set of bit patterns.  And a sound
as a sequence of bit patterns in the context of an allowed range of
voltage values (sound pressures?).  Got to introduce computer instructions
as selections, too.

THEN we can get to the meat of programming ---  pseudo-code to do each
of the 5 program functions listed above.  This will lead to data
structures (easy with Python, eh?).

Anyhow, as soon as I have something to show, I'll let the e-list know.
Still trying to resolve the issue of getting hand-drawn figures onto
the Web page without the .gif overhead when downloading.

Cheers,
Rob Lake
rbl@hal.cwru.edu