[Tutor] OT- how to build Python 2.0 from source?

Craig Hagerman craig@osa.att.ne.jp
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:40:05 +0900

Hi,

A bit off target... Can anyone tell me exactly how to go about installing
Python 2.0 FROM THE SOURCE file on a Linux machine? I did try to install
using the RedHat RPMs (eg: rpm -ivh BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm) but this
caused an error about failed dependencies (libreadline.so.3 is needed ??) so
perhaps a source install would be better... if only I knew how to do that.

I have looked and looked all over the Python.org site and there doesn't seem
to be any instructions for actually installing Linux on platforms other than
Windows. I have not been using Linux for too long and don't know how to do
this. (I am using Mandrake 7.1 by the way.)

Ironically I did happen across this line on a page documenting installing
modules:

    "However, if such instructions exist at all, they are often woefully
    inadequate and targeted at experienced Python developers."

Seems to me that the installing instructions for Python itself are
inadequate.

Craig Hagerman