[Tutor] Re: Making Smaller Executables with Simple.py?

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 13:52:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 FxItAL@aol.com wrote:

>     OK, I've used the following to create an executable without a console:
>                 python simple.py script.pyw -tk
>
> My original Script file is only 6KB after running simple.py I have over
> 1.5MG, how can I streamline this or is there another (easy:-) way to create
> an .exe

Did the '.pyw' actually get it to build it with pythonw.exe?  If so, I'm
glad; I was making a wild guess that it would work... *grin*

The problem with making Python binaries is that Simple.py needs to include
enough of the runtime system to work.  Unfortunately, the runtime system
is itself a little large, and that's probably the part that's taking up
the most space.

Unless your friends are willing to install Python, I'm not sure if there's
any way of getting around the large binary size.