[Tutor] Does anyone have any hard data on Unix resource usage under Pytho n 2.0 ?

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:46:52 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Arthur Watts wrote:

> 	If we are to implement our 'Global Environment Management (GEM)'
> system using Python, one of the questions we have to answer is 'how much
> memory/CPU is this thing going to chew ?'. From past experience with Perl,
> we know that every instance of a Perl process (which carries the overhead of
> an interpreter) adds to the overall load on the system. This can soon bring
> even a large Unix machine to its knees.

> talking hardware, compilers or whatever. I realize that no development
> environment can mask poor design / coding practices, and this request isn't
> a Perl vs Python vs Java thing ! I don't want to get dragged into that
> quagmire, but I'm more than happy to take a look at any figures that you
> guys have collected using Python at the coal face.

Hello!  Hmmm... I'm not sure if anyone has compiled hard numbers on
Python's resource requirements.  You may want to talk to the pythonlabs
people to see if they've done some benchmarking; I'm sure they would be
glad to help pinpoint areas to optimize memory use.  Perhaps your input
will help them to improve Python's resource management.