[Tutor] time.sleep

Mallett, Roger rmallett@rational.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:47:21 -0800

Concerning the time.sleep function I have a couple of questions.

In TEST 1 (below), I placed a sleep between two prints.  However, when the
code was executed, the sleep occurred before the first print displayed to
the screen.
	Question:  Why did the sleep occur before "line 1" was printed to
the screen?

In TEST 2 (below), I attempted to pass in a value to sleep which resulted in
an error.  I also tried passing in a long, same results.
	Question:  Why the error?  How should I pass a value into sleep?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Roger Mallett

TEST 1
	>>> def test1():
	... 	print 'line 1'
	... 	time.sleep(2)
	... 	print 'line 2'
	>>> test1()
	line 1
	line 2

TEST 2
	>>> def test2(time):
	... 	print 'line 1'
	... 	time.sleep(time)
	... 	print 'line 2'
	>>> test2(1)
	line 1
	Traceback (innermost last):
	  File "<interactive input>", line 3, in test2
	AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'sleep'