[Tutor] techniques for OO design

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:54:57 -0500 (EST)

Excellent example!...

If you're looking for a good book I've really enjoyed Coad's

Object Models : Strategies, Patterns and Applications (Yourdon Press Computing Series)
by Peter Coad, Mark Mayfield (Contributor), David North (Contributor)

It's done in a 'story telling' kind of way.. with lots of pictures and diagrams.

My Kind Of Book!  ;-)

His basic approach is to factor the problem into separate domians, and object
'archetypes' or patterns. There's also a lot of discussion about these kinds
of issues revolving around ZPatterns in the zope-dev mailing list..

Also.. Robin... I don't know if you've looked a Zope... but IMHO you should ;-).
(And look at ZPatterns!)

take care,
-steve

    Robin> Although I'm a grey-beard at programming, I had my first
    Robin> real clean-paper chance to specify an object oriented
    Robin> approach (with Python in mind) last week.  It involves a
    Robin> streaming-media scheduling application, wherein both
    Robin> content (live video, tapes, and MPEG-encoded "assets"), the
    Robin> equipment to deliver the media (machines, encoders,
    Robin> networks, disk space), and the people to operate the system
    Robin> all have to be scheduled.

..