[Tutor] Python 2.0 newbie questions

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:41:43 -0400

I haven't been in windows for a while, but I believe that if your mime types are set up properly, you can just double-click on the .py file (in explorer).

Also, from the command line you can type (if the path is set)
> python myfile.py

(if the path is not set)
> C:\path\to\python\install\dir\python myfile.py
(replace 'C' with the appropriate drive letter)

Does windows have an equivalent of the Unix '#!'?

If so that can be used to make your python script executable like any other program.

DIgression to Unix features:
	on a unix box, make the first line of the .py file "#!/usr/bin/env python"
	and set the permissions to 'executable' (chmod u+x myfile.py)
	then you can run it like ./myfile.py

Wouldn't it be nice if windows could run shell/python scripts as arbitrarily as this (using #!)?

-D