[Tutor] another ?, can Python be learned and used instead of CGI, Perl, and Java/JavaScript or are those still necessary?

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 02:48:03 +0200

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:23:03AM +1000, Simon Davis wrote:

> Remco Gerlich wrote:
> [snip]
> >Java can be used for many things, and most of those can be done by other
> >languages as well. The exception is mostly applets; there are things like
> >a Python applet plugin, but your users won't have it installed;
>
> Is there a Python virtual machine plug-in for web browsers that would allow
> me to write Python applets a la Java applets? If so does anybody know where
> it is? It doesn't seem to be on a prominent part of python.org (but perhaps
> I'm just blind).

I knew, somewhere in the back of my mind, that such a beast existed. But it's
obscure. (That's why I said "your users won't have it installed", usually
I would add a "probably" there). Now I went searching for it, and it seems
the last version is from '96, was still 16-bit, and for Netscape 2.0
(http://www.python.org/psa/Projects.html).

Other search results seem to indicate that there's still work going on on
a modern version
(http://classic.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-April/003789.html), well that's
still one and half years ago...

So it would have been more accurate if I had said "there *used to be* a
Python plugin", I guess...

--
Remco Gerlich,  scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl