[Tutor] Installing Python 1.5.2, where is C compiler

Robert C. Babione rcb@babione.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 21:55:15 -0500

I am trying to upgrade to Python 1.5.2.  I've done almost nothing with
1.5.1-10 that came with the installation.  I am just starting and want to
have Idle.

I've downloaded 1.5.2, unzipped it, and extracted the files.

When I do ./configure, I get a message that there is no gcc or cc in $PATH.

If I add --without -gcc, I get "C compiler cannot create executables."

I have Red Hat 6.0, Linux 2.2.5-15.

I am working at the command line and am very new to Linux - I'm not even
sure what the question is.

Do I need to install a C compiler?  Just find where the C compiler already
installed is and fix the path?  (I know about path in DOS, but do not know
what the parallel command is in Linux.)

Thanks for any information or pointers (I found nothing in the FAQ, the
tutor, or by searching the Python site).

Bob