[Tutor] Indenting and multiple developers

Danie Roux Danie Roux <droux@tuks.co.za>
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:19:15 +0200 (SAST)

> > But now I ran into a problem. My friend absolutely refuse to indent my
> > way (4), and I refuse to do it his way (3).
> >
> > And we're working on a single file. Any ideas how to handle these
> > situations? Aside from tossing a coin, or settling!
>
> Get a new friend <wink> -- life is too short to argue about stuff like this.

We have been arguing about this from 5 years back when we started to do
Pascal at school! I guess it only became a problem with Python

> The language's designer recommends using 4-space indents, and no hard tab
> characters (indeed, Python code using any other convention is not accepted
> for the std distribution):

>     http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html

Thank you for this!

> Just do the stuff recommended, and you'll save tons of other useless debates
> down the road.  Guido is called Python's Benevolent Dictator for Life (BDFL)
> because if you *don't* do what he says, he'll come to your house at 4AM and
> tickle you in your sleep!

Luckily I was (and will be) awake at that time these coming weeks. :-)

Actually I just decided bugger it, all of us can indent as we want. And
work on different blocks of code with different indents. But when we
release, I'll just run a vim macro/Python script through it.

Danie.