[Tutor] arguements

Suzanne Little s349929@student.uq.edu.au
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:32:40 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Hello,

Would someone be able to explain to me (or point me to an
explanation) what the * and ** mean? These occur in the argument list to
some methods I've been reading in Tkinter. For example the keyword
dictionary **kw. What is included in this dictionary and how does it
work? How can I access it or use it? Why, when I pass it to another method
in the init method do I need to do it as just kw? I've also seen the *
used in things like *args. How does this work? And what does it do?

Sorry if this is blatantly obvious or in an obvious spot but I can't find
anything that explains it in depth. My suspicions are that it's used
when you could have any number of arguments but what restrictions and
how they're used - I don't know. The questions I've asked above are just
so you have an idea of what I'm looking for.

As always, thank-you very much for any and all help.

Suzanne

"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if
it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic"
                             -Lewis Carroll