[Tutor] Freeze

R. A. griff@netdoor.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:04:55 -0500

I haven't used it yet, m'self, but the Python FAQ reads thusly:

Even though there are Python compilers being developed, you probably
don't need a real compiler, if all you want is a stand-alone program.
There are three solutions
to that.

One is to use the freeze tool, which is included in the Python source
tree as Tools/freeze. It converts Python byte code to C arrays. Using a
C compiler, you can embed
all your modules into a new program, which is then linked with the
standard Python modules.

On Windows, another alternative exists which does not require a C
compiler. Christian Tismer's SQFREEZE
(http://starship.python.net/crew/pirx/) appends the byte
code to a specially-prepared Python interpreter, which will find the
byte code in executable.

Gordon McMillian offers with Installer
(http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/distribute.html) a third
alternative, which works similar to SQFREEZE, but allows to
include arbitraty additional files in the stand-alone binary as well.

Rob Andrews