[Tutor] Is Parrot an April Fool's joke?

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:50:52 +0200

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:36:43PM -0400, Benoit Dupire wrote:
> Daniel Yoo wrote:

> > > It's a joke.  Read the example source code that GvR and LR show: it's
> >                                                           ^^
> >
> > Waaa..  I'm reading too much into LR parsing... meant to say Larry Wall.
> > Sorry about that.
>
> I would be interested to know how LR parsing works...
> I don't want to take much of your time, it's slightly off context...
> If you could explain it very briefly.. thanks..

I think this is really too off-topic for the list, it takes quite some
explaining. It typed "lr parsing" into Google though, and the first link
is to "PyLR - fast LR parsing in Python" at
http://starship.python.net/crew/scott/PyLR.html

The only introduction I see is at
http://cs.wwc.edu/~aabyan/464/BUP.html ,
but that's still far from easy. Try some other links :)

There are several ways to go from a BNF grammar notation to a working parser
for that language, they result in different types of parser. An LR parser is
one type.

If you are currently learning Assembler because Tim Peters told you that you
had to do that if you wanted to find a job building compilers, you also want
to learn all about LL, LR, LALR etc parsers... I learned about it at the uni
from the book "Crafting a Compiler", which is quite thorough. But no fun :)

--
Remco Gerlich