[Tutor] urllib, urlopen and the evil frames

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:05:48 +0100

> in step 2 I just get returned (through ye olde urllib)
> 'blah blah This browser does not support frames'.

> needs that page anyway' and then tried to access the market
> cgi-script using urlopen but then it spits at me saying I
> haven't logged in yet.

>   So now I'm stuck.  Surely there must be a way to just go
> 'look website, I don't care about frames

You'll need to go to the site with a Frames equipped browser
and open the login frame in a separate window. That should give you the url
of the real login page. Then use that to login programmatically (using
urllib) then (somehow... anyone?)
catch the cookie which presumably is being sent back to the 'browser' ...
Using that cookie you can (probably) get access to
the cgi page. If you are really lucky they aren't using cookies
and just hidden fields but thats unlikely...

HTH,

Alan g.