[Tutor] E-mail in python

Michael P. Reilly arcege@shore.net
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

Corey Woodworth wrote
> Would it be plausible to write an e-mail client in Python? The reason I ask
> is because Outlook has more than pissed me off too much. I know that I
> couldn't write something that complex yet, but Its a goal :) So, would A. it
> be plausible. and B. Where should I start?

There is a semi-decent, cross-platform one called "PyMailGui" that comes
with the 2nd Edition of Mark Lutz's _Programming Python_.  There's a lot
to be added to it, but it is open source and looks pretty well extensible.

Within Python itself, there are smtplib, poplib and imaplib modules
to deal with the sending and receiving of e-mail messages.  As well as
rfc822, mimecntl and mailbox modules.  To do a little self-promoting,
there is also a more useful MIME module (for programming) than
those that come with Python called "mimecntl" available at <URL:
http://starship.python.net/crew/arcege/modules/>.

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly                | arcege@speakeasy.net              |