[Tutor] E-mail in python

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:24:36 -0400

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 06:51:08PM -0800, Jethro Cramp wrote:
| Corey Woodworth wrote:
|
| > Would it be plausible to write an e-mail client in Python? The reason I ask
| > is because Outlook has more than pissed me off too much. I know that I
| > couldn't write something that complex yet, but Its a goal :) So, would A. it
| > be plausible. and B. Where should I start?
|
| As I remember there is a quite advanced gui e-mail client program based
| on wxpython. I think it is called Balsa or Mahogany. Check on the
| wxPython page for links.

Balsa is based on GTK+ and GNOME.  Mahogany is based on wxWindows and
embeds Python for extensibility.  It now has a Win32 build available
too.

Another client you may want to check out is mutt.  It is console based
(ncurses) but is quite flexible and useable.  I like it a lot.  It
works well on Windows systems with Cygwin (just change all 'fopen'
calls to use binary mode or all attachments will be corrupt).

-D