[Tutor] Compilation of python on win95b using bcc 5.5

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:17:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 kromag@nsacom.net wrote:

> Help the windows newbie please.
>
> I have learned to use configure and make and have become addicted:
>
> Since my company uses a standardized windows image based on win95b (for the
> time being...) and the only compiler available to me is the Borland C++ v.
> 5.5, I fear I have become a little lost.
>
> Is there a Win32 compilation howto anywhere? I have not been able to find one
> on the python site.

I believe that the compilation environment is optimized for Visual
C++.  However, Guido van Rossum has written some notes about doing Borland
stuff:

http://www.cwi.nl/www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q1/0415.html

Unfortunately, this is from WAY back in 1994, so the situation now might
be so different that the material above might not apply.  Furthermore, on
the Python web site, the webmaster has written the following warning:

"The build process is explained clearly in the file PC/readme.txt
contained in the distribution. Only MSVC++ is supported. (Although the
source presumably still compiles with the Borland compilers, and there is
support for it in config.h, there are currently no Borland project or
Makefiles. We lack the personnel to spend time supporting alternate
compilers, and nobody has volunteered yet.)"

So you're probably going to need to do some work to get Python compiled.
I get the feeling that many of us haven't compiled our own Python
interpreter, so we might not be able to help with this.  Do you really
need to compile your own Python interpreter, or are the prebuilt binaries
ok for your purposes?

Try asking your question in comp.lang.python instead, and you should get
better responses.  Good luck!