[Tutor] COM Ports

Timothy M. Brauch tbrauch@mindless.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:53:10 -0400

I have a program I want to write and I would greatly appreciate some
help with getting started.  I think it can be done in Python, and would
love it if it can be.

I have an infrared receiver for a remote control hooked up to my Win98
computer's COM2.  What I would like to do is be able to use the remote
to fun functions inside a Python program, depending on what button is
pushed.  The receiver also can pick up signals from any remote, but the
program that came with the remote will only operate with this remote.  I
would really like to eventually write a program that can be changed
fairly easily depending on what remote I have on hand (no need to worry
about losing the remote).

The problem is I don't know how (or even if it is possible) to use
Python to "get" the buttons from COM2.  Also, I'm not even sure what
COM2 sends when I do push a button.

If someone can just point me in the right direction, I would be very
greatful.  Of course, any other help you might want to provide would be
great as well.

 - Tim

**I tried sending this earlier, but I don't know if it went through.  If
so, please ignore my double posting.**