[Tutor] Re: Tutor digest, Vol 1 #741 - 6 msgs

Aedin Culhane Aedin@chah.ucc.ie
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:10:54 +0100 (BST)

Dear Tutor
My apologies to those subscribed to comp.lang.python, as I have posted my
request there last week, but as yet have no response.  As I am hitting a
blank wall, I would be really really grateful of your help.

I am trying to get idle working on Tru64 5.1 Unix running Python 2.1, but
tkinter can not be imported. tcl/tk seems to be installed already. I am
trying to follow the instructions in
http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/trouble.html.

"which tcl" gives /usr/bin/tcl

The files tcl.h and tk.h exist in /usr/include/ and list the version
numbers of tcl and tk as 8.2.

However there are no tcl/tk lib files, libtcl"version".a or
libtk"version".a in  /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.  There is a tcl directory
in /usr/lib, but these files do not have the .a extension... am I looking
in the wrong place? Equally I am not sure whether if the X11 libraries are
/usr/lib/X11.

Also do I need the Tix, BLT, PIL, TOGL or AIX libraries.

Thanks a million for your help,
Best wishes
Aedin

Aedin Culhane