[Tutor] Quick Question

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:01:39 +0200

Sez Glen Wheeler:
>   Hey guys,
>
>   I've been writing up a bunch of graphing tools in python...just for fun,
>   and on paper I write x squared as x^2 - this is normal for me.
>   However, in python, it is x**2 - right?

Yes.

>   My question is, what does x^2 do?  It seems like x^y === x + y - is this
>   true?

No.  x^y is x (bitwise xor) y:

>>> x = 4 # 0100
>>> y = 3 # 0011
7
>>> x ^ z # 0011
3

^ compares the bits in the operands and bit N in the result is 1 iff either
bit N in the left hand operand or bit N in the right hand operand, but not
both, is 1.  Otherwise bit N in the result is 0.

I hope.  My brain is all mushy...

Peace,
  Kalle
--