[Tutor] Not-so Quick Question

Glen Wheeler wheelege@tsn.cc
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:08:31 +1000

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Glen Wheeler wrote:
>
> >   Hey all,
> >
> >   I've got this tkinter program which is going to be an arkanoid clone
(eventually).  However, it (seemingly) randomly dumps with this error :

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\Glen\Desktop\etc\pystuff\the bouncy ball
game.py", line 280, in gogamego
> >     co = Screen.coords(block)
> >   File "c:\python20\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1929, in coords
> >     self.tk.splitlist(
> > ValueError: invalid literal for float(): 27.0expected
>

> Hmmm... Do you have any string that looks like "27.0expected"?  The
> problem with float() is that if you're going to convert something into a
> float, the whole string needs to have a floatlike quality to it.  For
> example:
>
> <snip examples on how to use and what not to do with the int() and float()
functions>

  No, I'm not converting anything at all to a float, anywhere in my entire
propgram...well, maybe somehwere but if I am then I'm pretty sure I'm doing
it right.
  That leads me to believe that something is spitting inside the function
'coords' in the Canvas widget.  I had a poke around, but I am way too newbie
to make any sort of understanding.  Why would Tkinter.py output
'27.0expected' for a float instead of '27.0'?  Or any number of other flaots
which it may output?
  I added a try-except block around that chunk of code, so it looks like
this :

            try:
                co = Screen.coords(block)
            except:
                print 'weird float error...'

  And on one complete run-through it will print 'weird float error...'
several times, but will continue to hum along nicely regardless.  I can't
notice any outside symptoms of this, but I really don't believe in
(essentially) ignoring a problem.  Would it be that I am asking for the
co-ordinates of something that is not on the Screen (canvas) ?

  Thanks,
  Glen.