[Tutor] One more time: weird python windows batch file error

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:19:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, folklore hopeful wrote:

> Hello all, I posted about this before but perhaps I did not word
> it correctly.  I have written a nifty python program and have
> burned it, along with py20, onto a CD-ROM so that it can be
> easily used on Win95 computers without installing Python.  To make
> it easier for my non-dos savvy audience, I am trying to use
> a batch file to start the python program.  That way I can say
> to everyone "click on My Computer.  Click on the D drive.  Click
> on the file call FOO.BAT" and we're away.  My FOO.BAT contains this:
>
> @echo off
> pythonw FOO.PY
>
> It works just fine, but pops up an error message every time
> my users exit the program.  It's the basic windows error message
> which says, in a nutshel "Pythonw.exe has done something illegal,
> tell it stop."

Ouch!  pythonw.exe should never return an error message like this.
Hmmm... have you tried using your program with Python 2.1?  Let's make
sure this isn't a bug that's been fixed recently.

If the same thing happens with 2.1, then you'll probably want to talk with
some people at comp.lang.python; they might be better able to help
diagnose what's going on.  Your batch file looks ok, so it's either Python
or Windows.  Personally, I'd put suspicion on Windows.  *grin*

Good luck to you.