[Tutor] Re: Hit Counter

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:50:24 -0400

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:45:38PM -0400, Michael P. Reilly wrote:
| dman wrote
|
| > On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 08:48:07AM -0700, Jon Cosby wrote:
| > | Thanks for the responses so far. I've made some changes, but
| > | so far haven't resolved the problem. I've added the line
| > |
| > | <!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pyw"-->
| > |
| > | to my Web page, which by the looks of it, should execute the
| > | script each time I load the Web page. It's only running when
| > | I the script page. Can anybody see why this is?
| >
| > What web server are you using?  '<!--' starts a comment (though '<!'
| > might be all you need) and '-->' ends a comment (though '>' might be
| > enough).  Thus everything in between those have no effect at all.  I
| > do recall seeing that on previous versions of Zope that sort of syntax
| > was used in their DTML files.
|
| Most all web servers in the last ten years have been able to handle
| Server-Side Includes (SSIs), IF activated in the server.  It all depends
| on what the server allows.

I haven't really used SSI, but I thought the syntax was more like the
C preprocessor :

#include <otherfile.html>

I could be way off though since it has been a while since I read
anything on SSI.

| Zope is not the web, it is one application server on the web, and
| there are more books out there describing (in part) SSIs than Zope
| and DTML.

Right, but that syntax (commands, etc, embedded in comments) looks
familiar from having looked over Zope docs.  :-)

-D