[Tutor] File copying - best way?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:28:10 +0100

> Ok.  This makes sense (although I always considered "no such file of
> directory" an error message.  I guess it's just more of an
> explanation! :)

Good point. In fact my statement below is wrong:

> > not an error. 'ls' will return an error if you ask it to list
> > the contents of a non existent directory however.
> >
> > In that case the errno() stuff might be useful to you...

As you say 'ls' just alerts you to the fact that the directory
doesn't exist it is still not an "error" in a programming sense.

I guess the only real error ls returns will be cases where it
gets confused about the state of a directory or something. Come
to think of it I'm not sure I've ever seen 'ls' return an actual
error message (eg. with the word 'error' in it...) and playing
with it I can't find a way to force it to either...

Alan G.