[clanoftheinsane@hotmail.com: Re: [Tutor] executables]

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:57:49 +0100

> From: "paul" <clanoftheinsane@hotmail.com>
> why is the py2exe so hard to use?  i can't figure it out.

Because its not a normal thing to do with Python.
Python wasn't designed to create executable binaries.
In fact I always think its pretty amazing that poeople
figure out how to do this kind of stuff at all - and
I'm still not sure I understand why... The payload
savings aren't worth it IMHO.

If you want executable binaries you are better using
C, Delphi, VB, FORTRAN or whatever IMHO.

But if you insist on bending a scripting language into
a pseudo executable format py2exe makes it as easy as
seems reasonable.

Another approach is to use Jython of course - that gives
you a java class file that woill run under any JVM. And
is easier than py2exe to use but brings its own set of
limitations.

Now as for the specifics of using py2exe you'll need to
get somebody else to answer, like I said I've never
quite seen the point...

Alan g.