[Tutor] Windows, Python and me

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:41:19 +0400 (MSD)

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Rob Andrews wrote:

>Roman Suzi wrote:
>> I am not sure if my question fits here, but I see lots
>> of such questions in c.l.p and probably this one could
>> gather expert answers, easily found later via google.

>>           CRLF edit editor IDLE
>>
>> For more than 4 years already I am working with Linux. But in order to do
>> packaging of Python related material I need to make it "right" in Windows.
>>
>> And here I understand how difficult things in Windows are (compared to
>> Linux). Below I refer to Win98 SE.
>
>Just as linux appears bafflingly complex to native Windows users. ;-)

I could only guess... Large classic "serious" books also appear
dull to small children. I read in some article that UNIX is for
"verbal" language-oriented and Windows for others.

>> 1. After installing Python under Windows, I can't just type "python" in
>> DOS-prompt to run scripts. What is the easy way for the novice to set PATH
>> correctly? ("> start python" works fine).
>>

>This is how to initiate an interactive Python session from the "DOS"
>command prompt:
>
>Microsoft(R) Windows 98
>   (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
>
>C:\robsrc\Assignments>python
>Python 2.1 (#15, Apr 16 2001, 18:25:49) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>>

>If you wish to add (for instance) c:\python21 to the PATH list of
>directories Windows searches for executable programs, the simplest thing
>to do is to back up c:\autoexec.bat and then add it to the PATH
>statement (creating a PATH statement, if necessary):
>
>PATH=d:\jbuilder4\bin\;e:\perl\bin;c:\python21;

And what could you say about adding

python.bat

to the C:/WINDOWS/COMMAND
directory with proper python call and all arguments re-applied?

(I am not sure what is the MS equivalent of bash's $*, though...)

>> 2. Some tar.gz archives are using LF-line ends (and this is right thing
>> for UNIX or under IDLE). However, such scripts are not editable in NotePad
>> which is fabulous default Windows editor. What is the better choice:
>> to get/provide CR-LF-ed text files or (how?) make users decode text files
>> for themselves?
>>

>Isn't there a handy utility to handle these conversions between *nix and
>Windows? WinZip is also great for handling such matters under Windows.

WinZip is not free.

>> The deadlock is: NotePad can't be used due to LF-ed py-files and IDLE
>> internal editor can't be used because IDLE doesn't support non-latin-1
>> chars... I could suggest Emacs, but for beginners... They will be
>> pissed off not only for Emacs, but Python alltogether. This way or that
>> solution must be "freely distributable".
>>
>> 3. What is the preferred way to run setup.py script? (MS DOS prompt
>> doesn't work due to the problem no 1 above and if it works, how do I open
>> MS DOS prompt in the needed directory and not in the C:\WINDOWS> ? (using
>> cd or adding some bat or pif files to the directory with unzipped contents
>> is not an option: it makes feel like Python doesn't suit into Windows
>> environment well). Or do I need to get some freeware kind of Norton Editor
>> for such tasks? (What Windows "Explorer" is for, then?)
>
>Can't help you much on this one. I've never had any success with the few
>methods I've tried to make Python scripts more handily executable under
>Windows.

  Thank you for answers!

>Hope some of this is helpful,
>Rob

Yes, it is. It confirms that things are nearly as complex as my
estimate was.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Sunday, August 12, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/