[Tutor] Windows, Python and me

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:40:47 +0400 (MSD)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

>If not you need to either set the PATH env var in autoexec.bat
>yourself(via the installer) or tell the user how...

Better to tell how...

>> to the C:/WINDOWS/COMMAND
>> directory with proper python call and all arguments re-applied?
>
>Bad idea! For a start DOS BAT can only handle 9
>arguments (%1...%9) ata time(like unix you can shift them but how could the
>script do that sensibly???

I can add a decent shell too. Say, bash ;-)

>> (I am not sure what is the MS equivalent of bash's $*, though...)
>
>There isn't one!

Hard to believe, but possible.

>Isn't there a default script in the python distro for
>converting Unix-SDOS line ends?

Python doesn't require conversion: under Windows it
runs LF and CRLF. Text editor NotePad is not that smart :-(
(I was thinking to include Emacs ;-)

>crlf.py or something?

It will not help, as it only converts one script at a time. And it is very
easy to write one. (10-liner, including directory walking, I bet.
Good excersize).

>> WinZip is not free.
>
>No but Zip Central is and is a winzip clone.
>Do a search or visit my tutor which has a web link.
>http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/

I've found UltimateZip. Maybe ZipCentral is better, thanks!

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Monday, August 13, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/