[Tutor] How does python find the modules I install ???

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:33:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, dman wrote:

> You only need to make sure that the modules are in $PYTHONPATH (which
> at runtime translates to sys.path).  Usually the default directory is
> /usr/lib/python<version>/lib so if you put the modules there it should
> work.  (BTW the RPM should have put them there for you, if not it is a
> bug in the RPM and the maintainer should be bugged and you need to
> change it for your system).

I prefer to keep a directory for extra modules in my /home so it won't be
blown away in a system upgrade (or other non-planned problem). Another
alternative would be /usr/local/share if you have others on the system that
would like to access the modules too.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com