[Tutor] [opinions?] Web development... (kind of long)

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:00:03 -0400

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:53:17PM -0700, Israel Evans wrote:

| Python Server Pages sounds great, but it's a Java/Jython thing and I just
| seem to have this prejudice against using java when I have Python.  I know
| it's not the same thing. I know I'm actually writing in Python and the Java
| part only comes in as the final form of the code in much the same way that C
| Python  ends up being C somewhere down the line.

Actually, Python Server Pages (PSP) was just a python CGI script the
last time I looked at it.  I allows you to embed python in your HTML
(with certain tags to identify it).  The cgi script executes your
python stuff and inserts the output in place of it before it gets sent
back to the client.  (The name is just similar to a Sun/Java product
that offeres similar capabilities)

Another interesting solution is PyHTML.  This is a modified python
parser that takes input like

        <head>
            <title>
                Hello world
            print "hello world!"

and transforms that to HTML and executes the embedded python code.  It
follows python's indentation is significant structure.  I haven't
installed it or played with it yet, but it looks very interesting.

Then, of course, there are plain CGI scripts if you don't like any of
the existing frameworks.

HTH,
-D