[Tutor] (no subject)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:39:26 +0100

> Just newbie in this program, can i used Linux & microsoft
> windows in the same hard disk, if this will crash my hard
> disk because of the OS?

This isn't even remotely connected to Python but to answer anyway...

Yes you can put Linux and Windows on the same disk, in
fact I'd guess most Linux desktops work that way.
You will need to partition your disk to do this but most
Linux distributions include a tool(eg fips or maybe Partition Magic)
for doing this (take a backup first!).

Then install Linux into the newly created partions. At the end of the
install process you will be asked if you want to install LILO, say
yes. After everything is installed and you reboot you will get a
lilo: prompt. Hit tab and you should see a text list of options.
type linux or win98 depending on which one you want to run.

You can even set it up so that Linux programs can see your Windows
partition(but not the other way around I think).

Having said all that its probably preferrable to use a completely
separate disk for Linux, but just to keep things simple not because
1 disk won't work.

Finally, just to justiofy the post, one of the great things about
Python is that you can install it on both Windows and Linux and
most of the time the programs will work on both OS without change...

HTH,
Alan g
(Who is just about to reinstall Linux after a 6 month gap...:-)