[OT] BASIC Factoid (was Re: [Tutor] Functions !)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:30:20 +0100

> > They are similar.  I never did enough BASIC programming to
>
> There's actually a reason for that. All versions of BASIC on
> early PCs were written by, licensed from, and "maintained"
> by Microsoft. And you thought BASIC was public domain :P

Gosh, I can't believe I'm aplogising for either MS or BASIC!

However in the pre IBM PC days BASICs were split about 50/50
between MS BASIC - A triuly dire but very small ROM version(4K?)
and various proprietary ones. Commodore used Comodore BASIC
which was all their own. Similarly the Sinclaiir(aka Timex)
ZX81 had its own version.  THE Texas Instruments PC of the
time (TI/99?) had a very sophisticated BASIC(16K/32K?)
Most of the Japanese home computers of the '80s used
the oldest MS version (mandatory line numbers and only
single character variable namess etc!).

ISTR BASIC itself was invented by Gary Kildall and AN.Other?
Mr Kildall of course went on to give us CP/M and GEM :-)

Ah nostalgia...

Alan g