[OT] BASIC Factoid (was Re: [Tutor] Functions !)

Bruce Sass bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:16:25 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> > Sinclair's may have been their own.
> >
> > Of course, I was a kid back then, so I can't really remember,
>
> Unfortunately I was trying to write a stock control system in
> machine code by using lots of PEEK/POKE instructions - it had
> to fit in the 1K of RAM that was all Sinclair gave you...

2K on the ZX81, unless you bought one of the RAM expanders (16, 32 and
64k sizes).  PEEKs and POKEs were good for fiddling with the system;
the best way to do ML on the ZX81 was to construct a REM as long as
the ML, place the REM as the first statement in a basic program, then
SYS to it.

- Bruce