[Tutor] Writing to a file on another server

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:11:08 -0500

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:11:25AM -0500, Sheree Beaudette wrote:

| I am working on a Windows NT machine.  The remote server is also Windows
| NT.  The server I want to write to is a Novell server.

How does your system access the server?  How do your other apps access
it (eg, notepad)?

My guess is that it is a samba share, and you either access it by
mapping it to a drive letter
    z:\path\to\file.txt
or with a complete samba path
    \\servername\path\to\file.txt

In either case (but use the right path),

f = open( "\\servername\path\to\file.txt" , "w" )
f.write( "hello world!" )
f.close()

will do what you want.  This is the neat thing about having the system
mount remote filesystems as treat them as local -- none of the
applications have to know or care!

-D

--

He who finds a wife finds what is good