[Tutor] simplifications : are they good ?

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:15:28 -0500

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:46:39PM +0200, Jean Montambeault wrote:

|     I must admit that I'm by nature irritated by all forms of jargon or
| anything that artificially hinders simplicity and clarity ; on the other
| hand, if the gain in speed is real then it could be justified.

Speed is never enough justification for loss of clarity, unless you
have first tested the program and found it to be too slow _and_
profiled it to identify the hotspots.  Simplicity and clarity are far
better, especially when it comes time to debug and maintain the code.
If you can't understand what it says right now, what are the chances
you can change it and still maintain correctness?

-D

--

(E)scape (M)eta (A)lt (C)ontrol (S)hift