[Tutor] Now has come the time to choose an editor

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:00:18 +0100

[Jean Montambeault]
>     Emacs would be my first choice. Is there anything else that would run on
> any platform ?

Well, emacs runs on Unix and Windows.  If that's good enough, I'd suggest you
go for it.  Another alternative might be IDLE, which should run on most
platforms.  It is distributed with Python and is written in Python.  It's okay
for editing and debugging Python, but I prefer emacs.
Other editors that have been mentioned by people in similar threads include
 - vi(m) (at least Unix and Windows)
 - Ultraedit (only Windows?)
 - Pythonwin (only Windows)
 - Jed (Unix, maybe Windows?)
And probably more.  But remember (from
http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/size.html):
"""
> Emacs is a pig.

Small minds -- small executables.
"""

Peace,
  Kalle
--
[  Laziness, impatience, hubris:  Pick two!  ]
[   International: http://www.gnupung.net/   ]