[Tutor] screen display commands

Jean Montambeault jrm@videotron.ca
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:13:25 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pierre Leonavicius" <pierre.leonavicius@pandora.be>

> Where can i find the syntax for screen commands?
> Such als displaying/inputing text on a specific place on computer-screen?
> Colors, blinking and so on.

    I'll try that one,

        - first, don't use HTML on a mailing list like you just did : it
ruffles the feathers of many who are using text only mail readers. They get
a mess of HTML code that is quite hard to read, especially when it comes
from Oulook Express.

        Now to the question. I guess that you looking for GUI (graphical
user interface) programming. Otherwise you would need "curses", another
interface that has windows but which is text only.
        There are many flavors of GUI for Python :
            -Tkinter is the one that comes with your distribution of Python.
It is the most universal working on Windows, Unixes (all of them ?) and Mac
(reasonnably well or so they say). I use it and it's OK. I need something
portable.
            -wxPython : pretty face, supposed to be easier to program but
not available for Mac.
            -pyGTK and pyKDE: for flavors of Unixes mostly, if I'm not
mistaking.

    So look for these names in Google and you should find plenty information
on each. Also Alan Gauld's tutorial at
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/ ; the guy has a book in print
so some ass will consider what I'm doing to be spamming : the heck with him.
Since your first name is Pierre and you're calling from Belgium there are
chances that you can read French :
http://www.ulg.ac.be/cifen/inforef/swi/python.htm offers some really
excellent notes and involves itself pretty quickly with GUI programming
(Tkinter as it's almost always the case). Look at the bottom of the TOC page
for a link to a PDF version.
    Something I missed the first time I searched :
http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/help/lang/python/tkinter.html look for the first of
the local link since that doc uses plain English the most of all available
on the net.

    In any case you will have to understand the basis of (Pyton) programming
(data types, branching, looping, that stuff) to effectively create a GUI.

    Bon plaisir ;)

    Jean M.