[Tutor] Application Error after end of program

Lee-Shanok, Bruce Bruce.Lee-Shanok@cognos.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:13:14 -0500

>Once you make a (new) thread, it is as if you have two programs
>running at the same time, but they share the same address space.  If
>the "main" thread terminates (after that "last print" you mention) but
>you have another non-daemon thread running, it keeps running.  The
>program isn't over yet.

I thought that might be it, but from the looks of it, I've pasted a print
statement
at the end of every run() method in my Thread object, which I understand is
the very
last command.. although I suppose the thread could switch over immediately
after the
pause, but I do a join for each thread from the main thread.

I've tried it with a single thread and join and it still occurs. :)

>Heh, NTDLL.DLL?  Sounds to me like a (buggy!) system library.  On a
>non-buggy system (or at least, less so) errors only happen in
>applications, not in the system itself.  I don't know what's going on,
>but I expect it is thread related.

  I've no idea how to get a core file. :) But yeah.. one of my hopes
was that Python might do some necessary cleaning up and that I was
somehow mucking that up.. but my calls are pretty straightforward, it's
a simple:

j = HopperThread()
j.start()
j.join()
print "Are we done?"

... and it's still mucking up. :)

I'm probably going to end up randomly commenting sections of code in some
trial
and error setup anyway, but I thought I'd see if anyone could explain the
magic
bullet (read: where I'm royally messing things up) before I reduce my code
to a
single nonfunctioning print statement. :)

Thanks for the idea though.. if I can ever find out "where" the program
screws up
(where "where" is some line number < lines of code :) ).. I'll whittle my
way through..

Cheers,
Bruce

may not use, copy, disseminate, or distribute it; do not open any
attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender by
e-mail promptly that you have done so.  Thank You.