[Tutor] why BaseClass.__init__ needs to be called explicitly?

karthik Guru karthikg@aztec.soft.net
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:29:13 +0530

1. I was just wondering why does'nt python call the base class constructor
automatically like in java? I noticed that it does provided i don't've a
__init__() in the derived class.
why do i need to make an explict call. I noticed that even perl asks us to
do this explicitly.
Is there any specific reaosn behind this...something to do with scripting
languages?

is __init__ also treated as a normal method and since we override it in
derived class , it does 'nt call the base implementation automatically?

2. do we have a search facility on tutor/python-list sites? i c'd'nt find
one.

thanks,
karthik.