[Tutor] Redirecting output from the HTMLParser to a file

Quniceleaf Listservs listservb@quinceleaf.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 01:40:20 -0500

I'm trying to filter an HTML file through the HTMLParser, and have been
experiencing trouble with what I'm attempting.

I'm reading in an HTML file, then passing it to a combination of
writer/formatter/HTMLparser. The various steps are omitted, as I've merely
used standard scripts from various Python books.

	# print html body as plain text
	p = htmllib.HTMLParser(f)
	p.feed(workdata)
	p.close()

It filters the HTML text (workdata) beautifully to the Interactive Window,
but I cannot get it to feed its output into a string or file, which is the
whole point of the exercise.

If I try to redirect the output to an open file via a write() command, I get
the error:

	TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only character buffer, not
None

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know where I can find more detailed
information on the HTMLParser? The basic online documentation doesn't seem
to explain it in as much detail as I seem to need.