[Tutor] Module Files Placement?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:08:27 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Curtis Larsen wrote:

> What is the accepted standard on adding third-party modules to your
> Python installation?  (Where do you put the files?)  Even though
> pretty much anywhere in PYTHONPATH would work, there has to be a
> system of some kind (a "/usr/local/bin" if you will) to keep them
> accessible, yet separate -- including all the extra modules THEY would
> in turn call.

External modules should live in a 'site-packages' directory underneath
Python's lib directory.

For example, on my computer, it's located here:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/

Out of curiosity though: are you trying to install a module?  The
"distutils" are a set of tools to make installing new modules fairly
automatic.  Third parties often use the distutils to more easily make an
installation script that works.