[Tutor] [Q] Install Python in RedHat

Young-Jin Lee ylee12@uiuc.edu
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:34:34 -0600

Hi, I have a question on how to install Python in redhat linux. (I was using
Python in windows and now I want to use it on linux.)
I downloaded the latest version of Python (2.2c1) into home directory. I,
then, did gunzip, tar xvf, ".configure", and make. After I tried to run
python interpreter after installation, I still got the python 1.5.2, not
python 2.2.2 rc1. I guess the reason is I should install the new python in
the right place. I downloaded it into my user directory and did above things
on that directory.
Where is the right place to install the newer version of Python?
What should I do to make the newer version to be a default Python
interpreter for the linux?

TIA.

Young-Jin